Friday, January 9, 2009

Another Race - John Evans 50k, 20k and 5k

I just can’t resist another race on the schedule. I was planning to go to Bear Creek Park in Houston on Sunday to help out at the race. I also need to get in a long distance walk of somewhere over 12 miles at target marathon pace this weekend. The race is a judged racewalk, from which I will probably be disqualified. I am not a really legal racewalker, having problems keeping the knee on my advancing leg straight until it passes under my body.

I talked to the race director last night, and he talked me into entering. He said if I get the dq, I can finish my walk away from the race area, this is a large park, and still do the volunteer stuff when I am finished. I plan to get there at 6am and help them get everything set up, then do the 20k (12.4 miles) when it starts, and finish up the day at the 50k awards ceremony.

I also have to do a long distance walk tomorrow. This is what I call a back to back weekend. So, I will do the 12 miles tomorrow at a slower pace and really push it on Sunday. My racewalking is getting better as I pick it up to a faster pace. But I will let the judges decide, then at the end of the month, Dave McGovern will show me what I really look like when racewalking with a video taping session. I am sure there is lots of room for improvement.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan. Don't worry, you will be able to get those knees straight if you want to, especially after Dave's clinic. It took me about 6 months to figure that out with concentrated effort and lots of coaching from Dave and other friends, but I eventually got it, and it was SO worth it :). Have fun! I am jealous that you get to walk so much right now. I can't wait to get back out there again.

    ReplyDelete