Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hilly Long Distance

I got a late start for my 20 miler today, too. The LSD walks I am doing now are a lot different than what I have been doing, because I am still trying to walk lots of hills, and also trying to learn how to optimize time at aid stations.

So, I set up my mini aid station at my mom's house again this weekend. Started out at 9:22 am and it was overcast. My mom said there was a front coming through soon, and the wind was going to pick up. Steady 20mph winds with gusts up to 30mph. There is one place on the route where I walk up a big hill and I am headed directly north. I nearly got blown backwards a couple of times going up (I walked up this hill 3 times and also down 3 times) and almost had to run downhill to avoid being blown over onto my face. Once or twice, I just felt like sitting down on the side of the road and crying.

Anyhow... got it done, slow enough to say it was training for a 100 mile race. 20.26 miles in 5:17:01, (including 20 minutes stopped at the aid station) average pace 15:38, average HR 138 or 71.14%, elevation gain/loss 1700 feet. I added an out and back section to the loop so I would not have to walk as many loops, it was about 2.4 miles and only has one big hill at the beginning/end. Looks like that was a mistake because the shorter loop has more rise and fall. Two weeks ago when I walked 16 miles, I climbed 2000 feet.

Oh, well, I have until June to get this right.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously recommend SFA state park if you haven't tried it already. You can get a good 4 mile loop there.

    It's nice because there aren't any cars to deal with and you don't have to worry about spending hours circling the boring track.

    I've been going there about 3 times a week and do a couple laps. You can get a state park pass for about 60 a year and get free admission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bader! I am still thinking about SFA... I just don't want to go out alone, and I don't know anyone who wants to walk 8 miles in the woods. And besides, no one I know who walks can keep up with me.

    So, when is your next attempt at 100?

    ReplyDelete