Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mohican 100 mile trail race

I just want to let everyone know I only made 30.4 miles of the 100 at Mohican. It was tougher than I expected, and I know when to quit. It is sometime after I begin to laugh hysterically (just kidding) as I had to begin the next climb. I was fairly warned, but I had to go and see it for myself. Relentless hills.

So, thanks to everyone for all the encouragement, and if I had to get a DNF in my first 100 mile attempt, I am really happy it had nothing to do with my conditioning... I was just defeated by how steep the climbs were. After I got back to the campground, I ate lunch then waited for a ride back to the busy aid station at the Covered Bridge and worked with the volunteers, helping those who did finish until about 1am. I caught a ride back to the start, slept for a few hours, and saw lots of folks who were faltering during the night make it to the finish.

Thanks again, everyone.

Maryann(who is not finished with the idea of 100 miles yet. hmm, how about Rocky Raccoon in February next year???)

I will compose a proper race report this weekend, with a little more detail, but right now, I just got home from Ohio and I have to get ready to go back to work tomorrow. ;-(

3 comments:

  1. Maryann --- so sorry about your DNF. I know how disappointed you must be, and I'm sorry you had to stop. Here's hoping your next one will go better. Meanwhile, know that you have done more miles in a day than I ever have :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maryann! At least you were able to complete 30 miles. Better luck next time on the next 100 miler you do. I have a feeling that you'll be training for your next one right away.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryann
    You were one of the people that reaaly made Mohican fun this year. Congratulations. We all hope that you will come back and try again...you really did the toughest of the hills...and very impressively! --Mark Carroll

    ReplyDelete